Dr Marijn Dekkers
Dr Marijn Dekkers was appointed a Non-Executive Director of Unilever in 2016. He is a member of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and a member of the Compensation Committee.
Marijn was Chair of Unilever from April 2016 to November 2019. Prior to that, Marijn was Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG in Germany (2010-2016) and Chief Executive Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. in the USA (2002-2009). He has been the Chair of Novalis LifeSciences LLC since 2016.
Having received a degree in chemistry from Radboud University in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, and a PhD in chemical engineering from the University of Eindhoven, Marijn began his career in 1985 as a research scientist at General Electric in the US, gaining experience in various units of the company before joining AlliedSignal (subsequently Honeywell International) in 1995.
In 2000, Marijn became Chief Operating Officer at Boston-based Thermo Electron Corporation, a world leader in the manufacture of laboratory instruments (later renamed Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.). In 2002 he became this company’s President and CEO. In 2010 Marijn joined Bayer AG in Leverkusen, Germany, as CEO until his retirement in 2016. Bayer is a Life Sciences company active in the areas of human, animal and plant health. In 2016 Marijn founded Novalis LifeSciences LLC, an investment and advisory firm for the Life Science industry.
Marijn holds both US and Dutch citizenships.
- November 2019: Stepped down as Chair of Unilever N.V. and PLC
- 2017: Quanterix Corporation (of which Marijn is a Director) became a publicly quoted company
- 2016: Founded Chair LifeSciences LLC
- 2016: Appointed Chair of Unilever and a member of Unilever’s Compensation Committee and the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- 2010 - 2016: Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG
- 2000 - 2009: Chief Operating Officer and since 2002 President and Chief Executive Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific
- 1995 - 2000: Various management positions at Honeywell
- 1985 - 1995: Research scientist at General Electric