Dr Marijn Dekkers
Dr Marijn Dekkers was appointed Chairman of Unilever in April 2016. He is the Chair of Unilever’s Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and is also a member of Unilever’s Compensation Committee.
Chairman, Unilever N.V. and PLC
Before becoming Chairman of Unilever, Marijn was Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG in Germany (2010-2016) and Chief Executive Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. in the USA (2002-2009). He has been the Chairman of Novalis LifeSciences LLC since 2017.
Having received a degree in chemistry from Radboud University in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, and a PhD in chemical engineering from the University of Eindhoven, Marijn began his career in 1985 as a research scientist at General Electric in the US, gaining experience in various units of the company before joining AlliedSignal (subsequently Honeywell International) in 1995.
In 2000, Marijn became Chief Operating Officer at Boston-based Thermo Electron Corporation, a world leader in the manufacture of laboratory instruments (later renamed Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.). In 2002 he became this company’s President and CEO. In 2010 Marijn joined Bayer AG in Leverkusen, Germany, as CEO until his retirement in 2016. Bayer is a Life Sciences company active in the areas of human, animal and plant health. In 2017 Marijn founded Novalis LifeSciences LLC, an investment and advisory firm for the Life Science industry.
Marijn holds both US and Dutch citizenships.
- May 2018: Appointed Chair of Unilever’s Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- 2017: Founded Novalis LifeSciences LLC
- 2017: Quanterix Corporation (of which Marijn is a Director) became a publicly quoted company
- 2016: Appointed Chairman of Unilever and a member of Unilever’s Compensation Committee and the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- 2012 - 2018: Independent Director at General Electric
- 2010 - 2016: Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG
- 2000 - 2009: Chief Operating Officer and since 2002 President and Chief Executive Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific
- 1995 - 2000: Joined Honeywell
- 1985 - 1995: Research scientist at General Electric