Nitin was appointed as Chief Operating Officer on 1 May 2019. In this role he is responsible for delivering in year results (P&L) for Unilever.
Chief Operating Officer
In delivering this, he will focus on creating a faster and more responsive business focused on consumers and channels in each market. Nitin will also focus on leveraging synergies, building future capabilities, and accelerating the digitisation of the organisation.
His most recent role was President, Foods & Refreshment, where he was responsible for Unilever’s global ice cream, Foods and tea Categories and Unilever Food Solutions. During Nitin’s leadership, Unilever acquired three ice cream companies in Romania, Bulgaria and India, the healthy snacks business Graze, Horlicks health food drinks and the Vegetarian Butcher.
Nitin was President of Unilever’s Home Care Division from 2013 until 2017.
Nitin joined Unilever at Hindustan Lever Limited (India) in 1987 where he held various roles in marketing and sales. In 2000, he moved to Unilever London and was involved in a review of the organisation structure. During 2001, he worked as Executive Assistant to the Chair and Unilever Executive Committee.
On his return to India in 2002, Nitin held more senior positions in laundry and household care, including Vice President Home Care, India (2004) and Executive Director for Home & Personal Care, India (2006).
In April 2008 he was appointed as Chief Executive Officer of Hindustan Unilever Limited, India and Executive Vice President for Unilever, South Asia.
Nitin holds a Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering and an MBA in Marketing from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIM), in Mumba, India.
He is married with two children.
- 2019: Appointed Chief Operating Officer
- 2018: Appointed President of Unilever's Foods and Refreshment Division
- 2013: Appointed President of Unilever's Home Care Category and member of the Unilever Leadership Executive
- 2008: Chief Executive Officer of Hindustan Unilever Limited, India and Executive Vice President for the South Asia cluster
- 2006: Executive Director of Home & Personal Care, India
- 2004: Vice President of Home Care, India
- 2002: Category Head - Fabric Wash and Regional Brand Director (Asia), Laundry and Household Cleaning
- 2001: Executive Assistant to the Chair and Unilever Executive Committee
- 1999: Member of the Project Millennium Team
- 1987: Joined Unilever and held various roles including Brand Manager for Household Care and Sales head for the Southern Region in India.