Ritva Sotamaa joined Unilever in 2013 as Chief Legal Officer. As member of Unilever’s Leadership Executive, she is responsible for Unilever’s Legal, Intellectual Property and Business Integrity functions. In 2018 she was appointed as Group Secretary, in addition to her Chief Legal Officer role.
Chief Legal Officer & Group Secretary
Ritva is responsible for Unilever’s Legal, Intellectual Property and Business Integrity functions. She has spent most of her career in the healthcare industry. She joined Unilever in 2013 from Siemens AG, where she was General Counsel for the global Healthcare business since 2009, based in Germany.
Between 2003 and 2009 Ritva held several global General Counsel roles at General Electric Company - GE Healthcare, mostly based in Wisconsin, USA.
Ritva started her career in Finland in 1989 at Instrumentarium Corporation, a Finnish publicly listed healthcare company, as legal counsel for international business. Between 1996 and 1998 Ritva was legal counsel for Partek Corporation and returned to Instrumentarium in 1998 as General Counsel, in which position she served until 2003.
Ritva holds a Master of Laws degree from University of Turku, Finland.
Since 2015 she serves as a non-executive director in Finnish branded consumer goods company Fiskars Corporation.
Ritva is married with two children. Her interests include running, golf and skiing.
- 2018: Appointed Group Secretary in addition to her role as Chief Legal Officer
- 2015: Appointed as non-executive director of Fiskars
- 2013: Joined Unilever as Chief Legal Officer and became a member of the Unilever Leadership Executive, based in London
- 2009 - 2013: General Counsel of Siemens AG’s global Healthcare business, based in Erlangen, Germany
- 2003 - 2009: various global General Counsel positions at GE Healthcare, mostly based out of Wisconsin, USA
- 1998 - 2003: General Counsel, Instrumentarium Corporation, Finland
- 1996 - 1998: Legal Counsel for Partek Corporation, Finland
- 1989 - 1996: Legal Counsel for international business at Instrumentarium Corporation, Finland.