1. Home
  2. ...
  3. Frequently asked questions
  4. PLC Shares FAQs

PLC Shares FAQs

Find out more about the type of share you are interested in.

PLC Shares

Who are the Registrars for Unilever PLC & how do I contact them?

Please find Computershare Investor Services' contact details on our Contacts page.

I would like to buy some Unilever PLC shares. Does Unilever PLC offer a dealing service?

A dealing service is administered by our registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC and is available online or by telephone. 

The fee for the internet service is 1% of the value of each sale or purchase of shares (subject to a minimum of £30). Limit orders are available for sales only and there is no additional charge for this service; stamp duty of 0.5% is also payable on all purchases. Further information can be found by using the following link and following the onscreen prompts: https://www-uk.computershare.com/Investor/ShareDealing.asp

For your information, these services are available to sole shareholders or up to two named joint holders for holdings in most companies. Shares registered in a Company name may not be sold through our dealing services. When using either of the above services, please ensure that you have your Shareholder Reference Number (SRN) to hand. You can find this number on a share certificate or statement, this will commence with one alphabetical character (e.g. 'C' for Charlie or 'I' for Indigo), followed by 10 numerical digits. 

If the shareholding is represented by a share certificate, please ensure that you are in possession of the valid share certificate(s) before proceeding with either a telephone or internet sale. Failure to do this may result in the sale being rejected and you may incur additional costs. 

Alternatively, the shares may be sold by contacting a bank, stockbroker or financial advisor. 

Remember that the value of your shares may go down as well as up and you may not get back the full amount of your investments.

How do I transfer shares into another person's name?

Please complete a stock transfer form and return it (with stamp duty paid where appropriate) to Computershare Investor Services PLC together with your share certificate(s). For further information, please contact our registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC.

I have lost my share certificate, what should I do?

Please contact our registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC, who will be able to arrange a replacement certificate for you. You should notify the Registrars immediately so that a restriction can be placed on the relevant holding in case of any attempted fraud. You will then be sent a letter of indemnity, which must be completed and returned to the Registrars so that a replacement certificate can be issued. Please note that there is a charge for this service.

How do I check my shareholding details online?

You can access your own shareholder account by registering on the website of our Registrars (Computershare Investor Services PLC). To obtain access you will require your own unique Shareholder Reference Number, as detailed on your share certificate or dividend tax voucher. You will also be asked for confirmation of your postcode or country of residence. Please visit the Registrars website at www.computershare.com.

If you are simply want your current balance, a request can be made by telephone or fax to our Registrars.

How do I advise you of my change of address or of another change in my personal details when holding PLC shares?

Please find Computershare Investor Services PLC contact details on our Contacts page.

The shareowner has died; what do I do?

If the shareowner is the sole holder you should notify the Registrars as soon as possible who will placed a restriction on the holding to retain dividends until probate is registered. You will then be sent a 'Notification of Death' letter which explains what is required from the executor or administrator of the Estate.

If the shares are held in joint names, the account can be re-registered in the sole name of the other owner(s). To do this you should notify the registrars in writing, enclosing the original share certificate and the original death certificate, so that a replacement certificate can be issued in the new name(s).

Please find Computershare Investor Services PLC contact details on our Contacts page.

How can I gain the value of my shares?

The latest Unilever share price information is available from the share price section of this website, which is accessible by clicking on share price within the useful links box of this screen.

How can I obtain an historical share price?

Historical share prices are available from the Historic share price section of the website.

Why do I keep receiving more than one annual report?

This could be because you have more than one account showing on the Unilever PLC share register arising from inconsistencies in your name and/or address. If you would like to amalgamate your accounts to ensure this does not happen in the future, please contact our registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC. To receive your shareholder information directly by e-mail please register online at Computershare.

I reported a certificate missing but I have now found it. What should I do?

If you have already completed a letter of indemnity and returned it to the Registrars, the original certificate is now invalid, and you should send the certificate to the Registrars to be cancelled. If you have not yet returned it, you should send the letter of indemnity back to the Registrars with a covering letter confirming that you have found the certificate and no longer require a replacement to be issued. The Registrars will still require the Administration Fee associated with the indemnity to be paid.

Please contact our registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC, on our Contacts page.

Can you add me to your mailing list?

To receive news updates, please subscribe to Sign-up for press releases. If you would like to receive local news, please visit your local Unilever website by selecting your chosen country from the menu in the top right hand corner of this page.

When is the next annual general meeting?

Information on our annual general meeting is available by clicking on AGM & Voting.

Is it possible to vote by written proxy at the next AGM?

Yes, you will receive a proxy form with the Notice of the Meeting if appropriate about five weeks in advance of the meeting.


What is an ADR?

An American Depositary Receipt or ADR is a negotiable instrument that represents ownership in securities of a non-US company; it is a mechanism that facilitates US trading of non-US securities. ADRs provide US investors with a convenient way to invest in overseas securities. ADRs are issued by a depositary bank and are traded in the same manner as shares in US companies on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the American Stock Exchange (AMEX), Nasdaq and the over-the-counter (OTC) market.

Where do Unilever PLC ADRs trade & what is the symbol?

Unilever PLC ADRs trade on the NYSE, symbol UL.

What are the benefits of holding ADRs?

ADRs eliminate many of the obstacles of holding non-US securities since they trade and settle according to US market practices; are quoted and traded in dollars and pay dividends in dollars; eliminate custodian safekeeping charges in the issuer's home country; facilitate prompt dividend payments and corporate action notifications.

What are the benefits to issuers of having an ADR programme?

For non-US issuers, an ADR programme can stimulate investor interest, broaden a company's shareholder base and raise a company's visibility in the US.

What is an ADR ratio?

The number of underlying shares represented by one American depositary receipt (ADR). The ratio is typically depicted as, for example, 3:1, or one ADR representing three underlying shares.

Which depositary bank issues ADRs?

What are my rights as an ADR holder?

ADR holders are generally entitled to the same rights as the underlying shareholders, subject to the terms specified on the ADR certificate.

What is an ADS?

A share, evidenced by an ADR, that represents a specified number of underlying shares held in custody in the issuer's home market. The terms ADR and ADS are often used interchangeably.

How can I buy or sell Unilever's ADRs?

You can buy or sell ADRs through a broker or through Deutsche Bank ADR broker services desk.

What is Unilever's ADR ratio?

Unilever's ratio is fix font dl 5:22, i.e. one ADR represents one underlying Unilever PLC share.

How can I obtain information about Unilever's corporate actions, including dividends & proxies?

How do I convert my underlying shares into ADRs?

You can transfer your underlying shares to Deutsche Bank custodian bank in the issuer's home country. On receipt of the underlying shares, Deutsche Bank will issue ADRs representing the newly deposited shares to you.

How do I convert my ADRs into underlying shares?

Instruct your broker to cancel the ADRs, and provide him or her with complete delivery instructions in the issuer's home country.

Where should I keep my ADR certificates?

In view of the value of your certificates and the expense associated with replacing lost certificates, you should keep them in a safe-deposit box or other secure place. Certificates are negotiable documents and should be signed only in the event of a sale or transfer of ownership.

How do I change my address when holding PLC ADRs?

Please contact Deutsche Bank Shareholder Services when you move so that your account records can be updated.

What should I do if I lose an ADR certificate?

If your certificate is lost, stolen, or destroyed, notify Deutsche Bank Shareholder Services immediately. Their contact details are given at the top of this PLC ADR section.

Back to top

Connect with us

We're always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.

Contact us

Get in touch with Unilever and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.

Contact us