Alan was appointed Chief Executive Officer in January 2019. As CEO of Unilever, Alan is responsible for leading one of the world’s largest and most geographically diverse consumer goods businesses, with presence in 190 countries, serving 2.5 billion people every day.
Chief Executive Officer
My purpose: to lead the adventureAlan Jope, CEO
Alan joined Unilever in the UK in 1985. Before being appointed as CEO, he served as President of the Beauty & Personal Care Division. He also worked in leadership roles in North America for 14 years and Asia for 13 years. When leading Unilever's business in China, Alan doubled its size and laid important foundations for future success.
In recent years as CEO, Alan has overseen the unification of Unilever’s legal structure under a single parent company; the acceleration of the company’s Prestige and Functional Nutrition product portfolios; and the launch of Unilever’s Climate Transition Action Plan, put to shareholder vote in 2021. Alan has also consolidated Unilever’s sustainability and business strategies into one – known as the Compass – designed to link Unilever’s leadership in sustainability to the acceleration of business performance.
Alan is Chair of the Board of UNICEF’s Generation Unlimited, Vice Co-Chair of the Consumer Goods Forum, and Vice Chair of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) Executive Committee.
Alan holds a BA Hons in Commerce from Edinburgh University and graduated from Harvard Business School's General Management Program in 2001. Recently, he was appointed Visiting Fellow at the University of Oxford.
Born and raised in Glasgow, Alan is married and has three adult children.
- 2019: Appointed Chief Executive Officer of Unilever PLC
- 2018: Personal Care becomes Beauty & Personal Care Division
- 2014: President of Unilever's Personal Care business
- 2013: President of Unilever Russia, Africa & Middle East
- 2011: President of Unilever's businesses across North Asia and member of the Unilever Leadership Executive
- 2009: Chair of Unilever in Greater China
- 2000: Global Category Leader for several of Unilever's Foods & Refreshment divisions, and President of Unilever's Home & Personal Care business in North America
- 1999: VP of Marketing, Unilever's Helene Curtis business
- 1995: VP, Personal Care for Unilever Thailand with additional responsibility for Hair Care in Asia Pacific
- 1985: Joined Unilever