Richard was appointed Chief Research & Development Officer in April 2019 and is part of the Unilever Leadership Executive (ULE).
Chief Research & Development Officer
My purpose: tackle together big challenges that matterRichard Slater, Chief Research & Development Officer
In his role as Chief Research & Development Officer, Richard is accountable for the development of R&D as a key growth driver for Unilever. This includes oversight of strategy and innovation across the three Divisions and leadership of key cross-company capabilities; Safety & Environmental Assurance (SEAC), Regulatory Affairs, Digital, Packaging and Operations.
Richard joined Unilever from GSK, where he held the position of Head of R&D for GSK Consumer Healthcare, part of the Executive Leadership Team and leading a transformation of R&D and innovation.
Prior to that, Richard spent nine years at Reckitt in a variety of R&D leadership roles across Health, Hygiene and Home Care, including leading the successful integration of several major acquisitions.
Richard started his career at Boots Healthcare International. He worked across various R&D and Supply technical, project management and leadership roles for global consumer brands.
Richard has a BSc (hons) in Microbiology from the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (UK). He is married with three sons and is based in the UK.
- 2022: Appointed Non-Executive Director at SARAL
- 2019: Joined Unilever as Chief Research & Development Officer
- 2014: Head of R&D, Consumer Healthcare, GSK
- 2012: Head of R&D, Consumer Healthcare, Reckitt Benckiser (RB)
- 2010: Global Group Director / VP R&D Personal Care, RB
- 2008: Global Director R&D, Aircare, RB
- 2006: Global Director R&D, Analgesics & New Brands, RB
- 1999: various roles, Consumer Healthcare, Boots Healthcare International