Reducing environmental impact
Our Big Goal
By 2030 our goal is to halve the environmental footprint of the making and use of our products as we grow our business.*
Decoupling growth from our environmental impact
Our vision is to grow our business whilst decoupling our environmental impact from our growth. We consider the reduction of our greenhouse gas (GHG), water and waste impacts within our own manufacturing and operations and beyond, across the value chain. We also aim to source all our agricultural raw materials sustainably.
Reducing the environmental impact of how consumers use our products continues to prove difficult, as our performance on reducing GHG across the value chain demonstrates. However, in those areas where we have control over our impacts – such as our own manufacturing - we are making excellent progress.
Our performance: GHG, water, waste & sustainable sourcing
Our environmental targets for GHG, water and waste are expressed on a ‘per consumer use’ basis - this means a single use, portion or serving of a product, such as the lifecycle impacts of one load of washing. Our 2016 performance is measured against a baseline of 2010.
Our performance: Manufacturing
Our manufacturing performance in 2016 is measured against a baseline of 2008.
We want to play our part in tackling climate change and reduce the depletion of natural resources. It makes business sense to reduce our risk by securing sustainable sources of supply for raw materials, to cut costs through reducing packaging materials and higher manufacturing efficiencies, and to appeal to more consumers with sustainable, purpose-led brands.
Our focus is on:
- Tackling climate change by halting deforestation
- Championing sustainable agriculture and food security
- Helping consumers use less water, less energy and recycle more
- Making manufacturing and distribution more eco-efficient
- Advocating public policy to tackle climate change.
* In 2016 we extended the date of the GHG pillar commitment of our Plan from 2020 to 2030.This extension also applies to our Reducing Environmental Impact Big Goal of halving the environmental footprint of the making and use of our products as we grow our business. Our Water and Waste pillar commitments remain at 2020.