Improving Health & Well-being
Our Big Goal
By 2020 we will help more than 1 billion people take action to improve their health and well-being.
- Around 482 million people† reached by end 2015 through our programmes on handwashing, oral health, self-esteem and safe drinking water,: 337 million people with Lifebuoy; 71 million with our toothpaste brands; 19.4 million through Dove self-esteem programmes; and 55 million with safe drinking water from Pureit. Pureit also provided 78 billion litres† of safe drinking water by the end of 2015.
- In 2015, 34%† of our portfolio by volume met the highest nutritional standards, based on globally recognised dietary guidelines.
Billions of people still lack access to effective hygiene and safe drinking water. Around 1,600 children under five die each day from diarrhoea caused by the inter-related issues of poor sanitation, hygiene and unsafe water. By 2020 we will help more than a billion people to improve their health and hygiene. This will help reduce the incidence of life-threatening diseases like diarrhoea.
More than 1.9 billion adults – 39% of the global population – are overweight and 13% are obese. By 2020, we will double the proportion of our portfolio that meets the highest nutritional standards, based on globally recognised dietary guidelines. This will help hundreds of millions of people to achieve a healthier diet.
Our approach encompasses health and hygiene and nutrition. We are uniquely placed to pursue our goal as we are the only multinational consumer goods company with a portfolio across home and personal care, food and beverages. The business case is compelling. We have seen that by promoting hygiene and nutritious food, sales increase.
Our approach is to:
- sell appealing products with leading-edge health, hygiene and nutrition benefits
- encourage people to take action through behaviour change programmes
- advocate to bring these issues higher up the policy agenda; and
- work with the Unilever Foundation and other partners dedicated to health, hygiene and nutrition, to broaden our impact.
† Independently assured by PwC