Non-Executive Director, member of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
Laura is chairman of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd and a Senior International Advisor for Foundation Asset Management AB. She is also a non-official member of the Executive Council of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Laura became the first person outside mainland China to join the Chinese Central Government at the vice-ministerial rank when she was appointed as vice chairman of the China Securities Regulatory Commission in 2001. She stayed in that post until 2004. Previously, she worked in the Securities and Futures Commission in Hong Kong from 1991 until early 2001. Laura was also a non-executive director of HSBC Holdings plc between 2011 and 2021.
Laura was educated in the US with a BA from the University of Wisconsin and a JD (Juris Doctorate) degree from the University of Santa Clara.
Laura has also been recognised for public service by the Hong Kong government, which awarded her a Gold Bauhinia Star in July 2009 and a Silver Bauhinia Star in 2001.
- 2018: Became Chairman of the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd
- 2015: Became a Member of Unilever's Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- 2013: Became a Non-Executive Director of Unilever PLC and member of Unilever’s Corporate Responsibility Committee and remained as a member until April 2017
- 2012: Hong Kong delegate to the 12th National People’s Congress of China
- 2011 - 2021: independent non-executive director of HSBC Holdings plc
- 2008: Independent non-executive director of China Telecom Corporation Limited
- 2004: Became Vice Chairman of the CSRC International Advisory Council
- 2004: Became a non-official member of the Executive Council of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- 2001: Vice Chairman of the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC)
- 1991: Worked in the Securities and Futures Commission, Hong Kong